The Baker Historic District
By Nancy L. Widmann, Photography by Jeff Padrick
Enjoy a walk through history in Denver's old South Side neighborhood.
311 Bannock Street in the Queen Anne style was built in 1889 at a cost of $7,000. First owner Martha Waters Pattison Kinkade lived here with her son, Frederick Waters, and his second wife, Marian. Martha and Frederick moved to Denver in 1881 from Erie, Pennsylvania. Frederick was a railway machinist until 1892, when he and George Simpson started Waters & Simpson, an undertaking business at 716 Santa Fe. In 1904 the partnership ceased and the F.B. Waters Undertaking Company was established at 920 West 8th. Waters was affiliated with over twenty fraternal organizations. For several years, Martha's sister, Miss Alta Bumpus, also lived here. The house was sold in 1914, when Frederick died. Fourteen family members are buried in a Fairmount Cemetery block that holds impressive family monuments. Henry Dozier's design was praised in the 1890 Western Architect & Building News. Originally lit by electricity and gas, the house had its own "gas machine on the premises."